The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) is a global body of professional accountants. Founded in 1904, it is the world’s largest and most respected professional accountants association, with more than 370,000 students and members in 170 countries worldwide.
The ACCA qualification is a passport to a new world of opportunity. Obtaining an ACCA membership automatically qualifies you as a Chartered Certified Accountant to use the designatory letters of ‘ACCA’ after your name, and work in either finance, accounting or management in organisations across diverse sectors. It also bestows upon you a certain prestige that could make a huge difference to a successful career progression. Choosing a professional qualification like ACCA is a great step that will definitely catapult you into an exciting career. This means you can take your expertise into any organisation whether it be in the Nigeria or on foreign shores.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Anyone who aspires to become a professional in any business sector, university graduates of any discipline can also join the program. It is worthy to note that no previous knowledge of or experience in accounting or finance is required. All you need in order to advance is determination, ambition and dedication.
BENEFITS OF AN ACCA QUALIFICATION
- You can acquire additional qualifications at the same time studying towards the achieving the qualification which will put you in high demand with employers’ throughout the world while increasing your career prospects. The qualifications are:
- Diploma in Accounting and Business
- Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes University
- M.sc in Professional Accountancy from University of London.
- As an ACCA member, you will have the opportunity of working in any sector you choose all over the world, be it public practice, the public sector, financial services, or the corporate sector, giving you access to a broad range of complex and interesting roles.
- It makes you a key decision maker in any field of business as you will acquire specialist knowledge in Accounting, Finance as well as gain valuable skills in organisational management relevant to any business.
- As an ACCA qualified accountant, you have the opportunity to secure progression to more senior management positions as employers will be assured of your skills keen to secure your services and as such you can be rest assured that you will earn higher than your counterparts. If you wish to become a highly competitive specialist, ACCA is the best choice for you.
HOW TO QUALIFY
Here’s what you need to know. The qualification is structured into two parts:
- Fundamental Level (F1-F9, all of which are compulsory except exemption is given).
- Professional Level ( P1-P3 are compulsory and you have to choose two examination of your choice between P4- P7).
- You will need to complete a minimum of five out of 14 exams although this can rise to nine if you don’t have the relevant qualifications. There will also be a professional ethics module as well as 36 months’ worth of experience in an Accounting role.
- ACCA flexibility allows you to choose how to progress through the qualification. There are four session per year. The sittings are March, June, September and December any of you can write an exam.
Don’t settle for less! Dream big and aim higher. Get a chance to pave your way for becoming an international resource rather than settling down within the confines of your national frontiers by enrolling yourself for ACCA qualification today.
For more information log on to www.accaglobal.com to register NOW.
Thanks to Kehinde Ogunjemilusi for writing this guide. She can be reached via email – kogunje(at) gmail.com for more insights on achieving the ACCA certification.